Double J and Double A

Live your life with arms wide open. This is where your book begins... the rest is still unwritten. ~Natasha Bedingfield

10.01.2008

I'm Nervous

If I could for a minute...I'm going to talk politics without getting political. Is that possible?

If there's one thing I've learned in all of my management classes it's this:
Don't get involved in conversations about politics and religion with co-workers.
I can't say that it's never happened, but I try to keep professional and personal issues separate. If you've ever watched The View, you know how nasty it can get.

I suppose you can say that I would consider myself a Republican that could be easily persuaded to side with the Democrats.

I'm undecided right now and I'm sure many of you would be willing to share your thoughts with me for one side or the other. I'm not neccesarily asking for that.

I wouldn't consider myself a feminist, but I was proud when Hillary Clinton was so close to the Democratic ticket. I'm not one to vote for a woman just because I'm a woman, I was just proud that a powerful woman is recognized by her peers.

This is where I want to talk about politics without being political. The following thoughts aren't based on what the person believes about foreign affairs, or the state of the economy, etc. Maybe it's more about equal rights.

I'm nervous for Sarah Palin on Thursday night! Boy-that woman has received some bad press! Some of it is probably deserved (did you see Katie Couric's interview?).

I'm proud that a mother "who works outside the home" is in a position to potentially become the Vice President of the United States. I think that sends an awesome message to every woman in America and all of our young daughters whose future is uncertain.

I know firsthand that a woman in corporate america is still looked at differently than a man. If we are soft spoken, we are timid and meak. If we are too outspoken, we get labeled as a B*&$%.

Qualified or not is yet to be determined, but I hope Sarah Palin is getting prepared for Thursday nights' debate. She will be critiqued harder, she will be looked at differently, be expected to know more than her counterpart, and still be expected to look beautiful w/the right color of lipstick!

3 comments:

mrs. weirich said...

Uh oh - you entered the danger zone! I won't offer my opinion, but I will say I’m gleefully looking forward to the Vice-Presidential Debate tonight, as well as SNL’s spoof of it on Saturday. They can only keep Palin sequestered for so long...I hope she rehearsed the answer to questions about what newspapers she reads. ;-)

Kathleen said...

Remember, being a feminist is not a bad thing. Feminism is defined as desiring equal rights regardless of gender. Don't get it confused with "feminazi"-- that's feminism turned bad. But being a feminist is good and right!

Stacey said...

I agree! I am definetly more intersted this time around! Women make EVERYTHING more interesting!!! HA!