Double J and Double A

Live your life with arms wide open. This is where your book begins... the rest is still unwritten. ~Natasha Bedingfield

6.27.2008

Love Language

The hardest part of my day happens around 8:15 every weekday morning. I've been doing it for 4 1/2 years. I drive my little kiddos to their day care (school, as we call it), give them lots of hugs and kisses, visit with their friends and teachers, and leave them there for the day. It never gets easier! I struggle with that decision nearly every day, but know that for our family, it's the best solution at this time.

I feel comfortable knowing that they are getting a full day of entertainment, academic-minded curriculum, nutritious meals, and are learning about independence and social relationships. During the week, they also have visiting teachers for Spanish, Gymnastics, and Music.

One of the best times of my day is when I get to pick them up. Their little faces light up and they come running across the room for a big hug.

The last three weeks have been really difficult. Austin started in a new class right after his birthday and he's just not as comfortable with the new teachers & classmates yet. When I have left him, he is typically crying "Mommy" and they have to hold him from running out the door after me. It breaks my heart. I hope I'm not jinxing it, but the last two days have been much better.

For the last two years, Avery's classroom has faced the parking lot. Each morning, I park right in front of her window. It's been our tradition that she stands at the window and waves to me as I get back into my car.

We do the I LOVE YOU sign to each other. Every Day!

This morning her classroom window was open and as I was driving away she yelled "I love you, Mommy".

I had such a hard time going back to work after both of my children were born. I remember my Mom telling me that every parent goes through that separation anxiety at some point, whether it be day care, or when the child goes to Kindergarten, or when they move away.

She said that she had tears in her eyes on the way home after they dropped me off at Purdue my freshman year. Stacey and I were so excited to be living at Harrison Hall and I'm sure we couldn't wait to send our parents on their way so we could start meeting all of our new friends.

I'm sure that day will come far too soon for our kids as well and I'll be crying all the way home. Hopefully she'll still be watching for me to sign I LOVE YOU through the window!

4 comments:

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

WE DO THE "I LOVE YOU" SIGN TOO!!!! So cool to know another family has that little tradition! You are a wonderful, wonderful mommy Jill!!! Miss you and love you!!

Jamie

Stacey said...

Jilly! I am crying! How are we ever going to send them off to college? That is it! We are going with them! HA!

We do the I love you thing too! Since I took the job at church and am away from Olivia most of Sunday now, we made friendship bracelets and we each wear ours when we are apart.

You ARE such a good mommy Jilly! Avery and Austin are so blessed for you!

Love and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill!!!

It is Stefanie (Miller) Bodnar from NHS. I know I haven't talked to you in well.... probably 14 yrs. but I have been reading your blog. I found it through Staceys and Jamies. This entry you wrote really touched me so I just had to leave a comment. I worked until Ethan was 3 and I was pregnant with Aiden. I know exactly what you are talking about. It was so hard to leave them even though we loved his daycare (we also called it school) we felt totally safe and it was at a church so he was getting a stable religious background also. Now that I stay home I wonder if I am doing the right thing bc Ethan is very social and loved the interaction with the other kids every day. Even though we try to do playdates with friends it isn't the same. Anyway I guess what I am trying to get at is that it is hard being parents but so rewarding. We all have times where we struggle with decisions/choices bc we just want what is best for our children. I am sure you and Jon are great parents! My email is benstef1@sbcglobal.net if you ever want to drop me an email.

Kristen said...

That was a great post Jill.

I think you question no matter what you choose to do. I worked with Cade and now stay home with Anya, and have to say that I question the decision both ways.

great post, and I am SURE she will still be signing I love you! :)