Double J and Double A

Live your life with arms wide open. This is where your book begins... the rest is still unwritten. ~Natasha Bedingfield

7.23.2008

My Favorite Fair Memory



It was a warm summer evening in late July of 1998. I had just arrived into town from Indianapolis. My sweetie and I were headed to the fair.

Upon arrival at the fair, we headed to get some strawberry shortcake. Then we made our way towards the Ferris Wheel. Jade and Andrew were there too. I thought, "how strange that Jon isn't wanting to have any bites of this yummy strawberry shortcake". Oh well, more for me!

When we stepped onto the Ferris Wheel Platform, the carnival attendant held the door open for us to step in and then closed it. Again..strange that we were the only ones riding in that car, when I had noticed that every other car was loaded completely full.

We enjoyed our ride and when our car reached the very top, it stopped. Of course, I assumed that they were loading more riders down below.

As I was taking in the sites of the fairgrounds and beyond, suddenly Jon was on his knee (in the wobbly car) with an engagement ring in hand! His proposal was so sweet...I was thrilled and said "yes" immediately.

When the ferris wheel started moving again, we stopped at the bottom and the carnival attendant allowed Jade and Andrew to jump on board with us. The carni gave us a big toothless grin and told us that he, too, had gotten engaged on the ferris wheel and wished us well.

It had all been planned ahead of time. Jon had visited with my Dad, Jade and Andrew had fore-warned the carnival attendant, and Jon had such a nervous feeling in his gut that he couldn't eat a thing.

Every year, we walk past the Ferris Wheel and remember that memorable ride.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Jilly that is so cute! I had forgotten that story! What fun for you guys to visit that spot each year!

Kristen said...

Awww that is too sweet!!

Way to go Jon!! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! I love to go back to places where Ben and I have memories from the past. Now usually the kids are with us, those are the full circle moments life is all about! I can totally picture the carnie with no teeth!!!

Susie said...

I can remember you calling and telling me! I was at my mom and dad's house and I was so excited for you!! So cool for you to "relive" that happy time for you and Jon!!!
Love you Jilly!

Anonymous said...

How far you two have come...back then it was just the beginning of J squared and now you walk past the same ferris wheel with your little A squares.